This weekend I spent the ice cold morning baking at mum and dads house. It was -1 degrees and thick fog as far as you could see, so besides staying in bed this seemed like the next best place to be. The verdict was that apparently these taste like "old school baking" but they are healthier. My parents loved them and now you can enjoy them to.
- 250g ghee or butter (I personally use ghee)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup rasberries (pureed)
- 1/2 cup apple juice (organic with no added sugar)
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Start by making jam ingredients, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Place in the fridge for 30 - 60min or until a thick consistency.
- Use an electric mixer to beat ghee, coconut sugar and lemon rind in a bowl until well combined. Add eggs and coconut and beat until well combined.
- Place some excess buckwheat flour in a bowl and coat your hands well with it. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on lined trays, allowing room for spreading. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Spoon ½ tsp of chia jam into each indentation.
- Bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden. Remove from oven. Set aside on the trays to cool completely.