I absolute love that time of the year when the slow cooker can come out and you know while you work dinner cooks. This my friends is one of those recipes. It will feed a family or be perfect for left overs the next couple of days.
If you don't own a slow cooker, do yourself a favour and invest in one. They are a life saver!
Ingredients: Serves at least 4
- 4 beef cheeks
- 1/4 cup buckwheat or GF flour
- 1 onion (chopped in chunks)
- 6 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 2 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (roughly chopped)
- 1 capsicum (large chunks)
- 1 cup mushrooms (see notes)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 3 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Season beef cheeks in the flour.
- Heat a pan, melt the butter and cook beef cheeks for 3 - 5 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile prepare all your vegetables. Add half the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and capsicum to the slow cooker.
- Layer the meat on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker and then add the remainder vegetables.
- In a bowl combine the bone broth, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and coconut sugar. Mix well. Pour over the top of the casserole.
- With the lid on cook on low for 6 - 8hrs, or on high for 3 - 4hrs
- Meanwhile boil the sweet potato. Once soft add a tbsp of coconut oil and mash with a potato masher.
- Serve the casserole on the bed of mashed sweet potato.
- Broth is more gut healing than stock
- If available opt for the shiitake or oyster mushrooms have more medicinal value than button mushrooms.