For some people smoothies are there go to for breakfast. They are quick and easy to whip up, plus they just sit better for those that don't wake up feeling overly hungry or are not morning people. Winter is obviously upon us here in Melbourne and those smoothie lovers get a little stuck for breakfast ideas. The thing is though you can still make beautiful and warming smoothies, trust me they taste better than they sound.
A couple of tricks:
- Go for seasonal fruits and vegetables. They will naturally be a little more hearty and warming then our summer fruits and veg. To find seasonal product either shop at your local farmers market or look for the cheapest produce at the supermarket. it's cheap because it's in season.
- Berries are always a staple in smoothies. Well in mine anyway. I will always thaw out my berries so they are room temperature or I will heat what I want in a pot with a splash of oil before adding them into the smoothie.
- I love to add different supplements I wouldn't normally get in my diet. Try mixing it up if you are adding any powders of supplements to your smoothies. For instance I love adding liquorice root powder (please check with your health professional before adding this in) to my winter warmers.
- 1 cup of greens (spinach, kale, parsley, silverbeet)
- 1 cup frozen cherries and or berries, defrosted overnight
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup almond milk (warmed if you desire)
- 1 tbsp of nut butter
- 1 serve of vanilla or chocolate protein (I personally use chocolate in this recipe)
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Serve and enjoy.
For more recipes or help creating a meal plan CLICK HERE!