Making brownies out of a sweet potato and black beans may not sound all that appetising, but trust me... these are delicious! It was hard not to eat all the batter before cooking it ;)
Sweet potato is an amazing source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium, dietary fibre and way more.
As for the other main ingredient, black beans. The fibre in black beans help lower cholesterol plus they are also high in potassium, Vitamin B6 and folate.
Bet you can't say all of that about a traditional sugar and gluten filled brownie.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 2 cups), peeled and diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pre heat oven at 150 degrees.
- Peel, chop and steam the sweet potato until soften. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile rinse and drain the black beans.
- Add all ingredients except the taco nibs to the food processor.
- Process until the mixture is a nice smooth consistency.
- Stir through the cacao nibs.
- Line a tin with baking paper, pour the mixture onto it and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 - 30mins
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle cacao nibs, crushed walnuts or rose petals over to serve (optional)