Quinoa (keen-wah) is a plant food and considered a ‘superfood’ as it is a complete source of protein. It is especially good if you are gluten free as it is naturally gluten free, and contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber.
Not too mention this pie is jam packed with vegetables so really is a win win for everyone.
Prep Time - 20 min
Cook Time - 45 min
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large red capsicums, roughly chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into cubes
- 1 small eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of beans of your choice
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- Basil pesto
- 1 bunches basil
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper and arrange onion, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and sweet potato in a single layer on trays. Roast for 30 mins or until soft and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa in a large saucepan of boiling water for about 30 mins, or until the water is fully absorbed.
- Grease a pie dish or tin with coconut oil and leave aside.
- Place quinoa in a large mixing bowl, add mix through the spices and season with salt and pepper. Add eggs and stir until evenly combined. Gently fold through roasted vegetables and beans and spoon into prepared tin. Press in with the back of a spoon and cook for 40 mins or until set and golden brown on top.
- Place tomatoes on a tray lined with baking paper and cook for 20 mins, until tender.
- Meanwhile make basil pesto, place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until well combined.
- Serve pie on a bed of spinach, topped with the roasted tomatoes and basil pesto.