I have definitely had a Moroccan theme to my cooking this Winter. After playing around with different spices to create my Freedom Spices Moroccan Blend, I couldn’t help but fall in love with Moroccan flavours and food.
This soup is stunning and perfect with a delicious sourdough bread and a glass of red wine.
- 1 small pumpkin, roughly chopped
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 2 tbsp Freedom Spices Moroccan Spice
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, the juice
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- Coconut or Greek yogurt to garnish
- The night before place chickpeas in a bowl and cover with water.
- Drain. Place in saucepan of water over high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under water.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Stir in FS Moroccan Spices and half the paprika.
- After 1 minute add chickpeas, tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat for 60 minutes.
- Blend soup with a stick blender until almost smooth. Stir through celery, parsley, coriander, lemon juice and sherry.
- Season with salt, pepper, Dukkah (Dukkah recipe under side dishes) and a dollop or yogurt of your choice.