Healthy 2 Minute Noodles
This one is for all the 2 minute noodle lovers out there. It is time to make the switch to homemade 2 minute noodles. Why you ask? Well lets look at a supermarket brand of 2 Minute Noodles. For today I’m looking at Maggi.
The ingredients consist of wheat flour, tapioca starch, vegetable oil (antioxidant 320), mineral salts, iodised salt, vegetable gum, colour (riboflavin). Let’s break down the 3 main ingredients:
Wheat Flour – Is loaded with gluten, spikes blood sugar levels, and research is showing it is addictive.
Tapico Starch – I’m all for this ingredient. It is derived from the cassava plant. It can improve digestion, lower cholesterol, prevent diabetes, protect bone mineral density, prevent Alzheimer’s disease, protects heart health, and maintains fluid balance within the body.
Vegetable Oil (antioxidant 320) – Is derived from petroleum and can cause skin conditions (eczema, dermatitis, itching, hives, rashes,) behavioural problems, asthma, headaches and migraines.
Given that this is a highly processed product they need to add more additives to stabilize it and give it a longer shelf life.
So if you think you might have trouble giving up these old faithfuls try these healthy noodles instead.
Serves 2 / Prep Time - 2 min
- 2 balls of rice noodles (I use the pumpkin and brown rice noodles on our health food website)
- 1/2 a capsicum
- 1/2 chicken breast or beef strips (optional)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 chilli
- handful of basil leaves
- 2 tsp of vegetable stock
- Boil the kettle.
- Get out two jars and place noodles and the vegetable stock in the jars.
- Chop vegetables and place in jars.
- Chop up chicken or beef and place in the jars raw.
- Once the kettle has boiled, pour boiling water over the ingredients and let sit for 1 - 2 minutes.
- If you want to take this to work place all of the ingredients into your jar and just pour the boiling water when ready to eat.
- If you are having chicken or beef, be sure to store in the fridge until ready to eat.