I have been using black rice more and more over the past couple of years, because it is so versatile and can be used in sweet or savory dishes.
Ancient Chinese legend once considered black rice the forbidden rice, a grain only suited for emperors. Nowadays black rice is hailed for it’s nutritional benefits. It is high in antioxidants contains fiber, vitamin E and is a great source of iron and protein with a low glycemic index.
Today we are making a delicious black rice porridge topped with your favourite toppings and seasonal fruits. the great thing about this dish is its convenience. I tend to make a big batch on a Sunday and store it in individual containers in the fridge, for a simple breakfast to grab and go.
Serves 4 / Prep Time - 10 min
- 1 cup of black rice
- 1 can coconut milk or cream
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp protein powder (I use Raw Amazonia Cacao or Vanilla)
- You can use any toppings you like. I used
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- 1 fig (cut lengthways)
- 5 strawberries
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- sprinkle of bee pollen
- Rinse and drain black rice.
- In a saucepan add black rice and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered whilst stirring frequently. Cook until rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Meanwhile get your toppings ready.
- Once the rice is cooked remove from heat and stir through protein powder and coconut nectar.
- Top with your favourite ingredients and enjoy.
- It will last in the fridge for 5 days.
- Prepare and separate it in containers if you are making it for the week to come. Remove from the fridge each day and eat cold or zap it in the microwave.