I went to my local farm last week to buy my beautiful fresh, organic produce and got chatting to a few of the ladies in there about a juice cleanse they were doing. I can’t remember the length exactly, but I believe it was about 4 weeks they had been doing some detox were all they have is 3 juices a day and gradually start adding a little bit of food. They were all doing this to lose weight. Now don’t get me wrong I think there is a time and a place for juice cleanses but I don’t think it is the answer to long term weight loss.
It got me thinking…. all these woman are surrounded by the best produce they could possibly be feeding their bodies. Literally they work at the farm, they sell me the organic fruit and vegetables, yet they just want a quick fix. What happens after the juice detox? What happens when they return to normal eating habits? What happens when the weight starts creeping back on?
Anyway I thought to myself rather than doing another juice cleanse hoping for the fix, why not do an overall life detox and really set yourself up for success. Maybe I think this way because it’s what I teach my clients, but it works.
So let’s look at some ways you can detox your life, for good:
- Put your runners on and go for a walk when you get home from work rather than reaching for the fridge and sitting on the couch. I might seem like such an effort but once you are out the door, soaking up the fresh air you will feel amazing.
- Switch the chocolate bar for an apple, and the soft drink for a water. I know you already know this but it has to be said.
- Call on your girlfriends. Often we get caught up in our day to day to do lists and work and we forget to enjoy the simple moments with our loved ones. I know I can definitely be guilty of this at times, and struggle to put down my laptop especially if I’m on a roll. But you know what I always feel refreshed, energized and motivated after a good catch up with a friend.
- Switch off. I’m not saying forever, just an hour before you go to bed flick off all screens. Your mind is overstimulated by the different screens in your life. Let your body start to unwind, relax, and switch off from your day. You will find your sleep patterns improve dramatically.
- Which leads me to reading a book instead of watching T.V. It is so relaxing to pick up a book before bed, no sound, and no noise and just read. Your mind will start to relax and again you will sleep far better.
- Once a week have some you time. Every Sunday afternoon I like to take a long Magnesium bath, read a book and just take some time out. I give myself a full facial and really treat myself with some self-love.
I hope this gives some ideas to detox your life.