When it comes to weight loss there are a few easy nutrition swaps you can make to your daily life to assist with your health and or weight loss journey.
As the old saying goes “80% nutrition and 20% fitness,” or “abs are made in the kitchen” and I couldn’t agree more with this. So often people start slogging away in the gym for weight loss and this isn’t always a bad thing, because if you are lucky enough the better food choices will naturally start happening and eventually you will have both down pat. But no matter how much you exercise if the nutrition isn’t down pat or at least changing you are literally going around and around in circles.
Try starting with these easy swaps:
- Vegetable oils – Swap for coconut oil or ghee. Both of these products are high smoke point oils so will not go rancid.
- Bread – Swap for a good quality sourdough bread from your baker. These breads are made with only 3 – 4 ingredients and in the process gluten is broken down to make it easier to digest.
- Meat – Swap your meat to grass fed and organic meats. This will ensure not only better quality food but you won’t be feeding your body with obesogens and chemicals that effect your hormones.
- Soft drinks – Swap for soda water with berries or lime wedges and mint.
- Coffee – Reduce to one coffee a day or swap it for a Matcha Latte which will help speed up your metabolism.
- Artificial sugars and sweeteners – Swap for natural sweeteners such as coconut sugar, honey, stevia, coconut nectar and rice malt syrup.
- Juice and cordial – Swap for good old water. Having 3 + liters of water a day will help detoxification of the body.
- Chocolate – Swap for homemade healthy chocolate (recipe here) or a good quality raw, vegan dairy free chocolate such as Loving Earth Chocolate.
- White Pastas – Swap for zucchini and sweet potato noodles, spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice.
- Alcohol – If you are a beer or cider drinker swap it for as local as possible beer and cider, that is preservative and additive free. If you want to make a bigger change, swap for red wine or vodka with lemon and soda water.
Remember all it takes is one step at a time to achieve long term health and wellness goals.. Try adding some of these switches into your daily diet and see old habits dwindle away one by one.